This is an online guided training course that shows you all the building blocks you need to be an effective Engineering Manager in tech companies today.
What will you learn in this course?
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the typical responsibilities of an Engineering Manager
- Name five common industry archetypes
- Define success criteria for an Engineering Manager
- Explain the scope of people management and their associated activities
- Describe the scope of the broader system and the 4 directions to manage
- Understand how to balance your personal needs with the needs of the team and organisation
Who is the target audience?
You will benefit the most from this course if you work in software and you are:
- An individual (e.g. software developer) considering the Engineering Manager role
- A person transitioning to the Engineering Manager role
- A person in the Engineering Manager role for <2 years
What does this course cover?
Course sections include:
- Exploring the EM Role – We reveal the scope, definition and varieties of the EM role.
- Managing People – We outline essential people management skills, with a deep dive on skills to grow and motivate people
- Managing the System – We look at the 4 dimensions of successfully managing the system and apply this to a case study
- Managing Yourself – We look at common EM struggles/traps and how to overcome them
What do you need for this course?
This is an online, interactive, fully remote course. For the best experience you will need:
- Internet – Good, reliable Internet access. The recommended minimum is 1Mb/s with access to http://zoom.us, http://miro.com and http://menti.com (please validate your company doesn’t have a firewall that blocks these sites)
- Computer – A computer with the ability to run Zoom and a web browser concurrently. Recommended minimum specifications include: CPU 2,8 GHz (dual-core i3/i5/i7 or AMD equivalent), 4GB RAM.
- Webcam and microphone – As there are group activities, it is recommended you have a webcam and microphone
- Video Conferencing Software – The course runs via Zoom. It is recommended you use the native Zoom client (i.e. not the web client).
- A modern Internet Browser – We will use a number of web-based tools. It is recommended you use one of the following: Chrome 52.0 or later, Firefox 52.0. or later, Safari 10 or later, Internet Explorer 11 or later, Edge version 15 or later. Please check you can access http://miro.com and http://menti.com
- Time – This course runs for 4 hours.
How does this course run?
Your trainer (Pat Kua) will guide you and your cohort through the course using a variety of methods optimised for a fully remote, digital world. Research shows that deeper learning occurs when you interact, apply and practice the material. This course uses short lectures, interactive polls, Q&A breakouts, individual and group exercises and group discussions. Each element is designed to challenge you to put the content into action and you will get the most of this course by taking an active part.
How many people can take part in this course?
This course is designed for a minimum of 8 people up to a maximum of 20 people.
Can you run this training course for my company?
Yes. We can run a private version of this course for future and current Engineering Managers at your company. There are several options for doing so and in order to learn more, please get in contact for more details.
I’m interested. How do I register?
Choose one of the dates that work for you and follow the link to register.
If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to send me an email. To find future dates for this course, watch out for the announcements by joining Level Up, a curated newsletter for leaders in tech.
What payment options do you support?
Tickets available for publicly scheduled courses via the events platform can be paid with:
- Debit/credit card (e.g. Visa, Mastercard, American Express) via Stripe
The ticket purchaser will automatically receive an invoice via the events platform.
If your company would like to pay via bank transfer/invoice this is supported for bulk purchases of 3+ tickets, please get in touch.